Thursday, May 27, 2010

Homeschooling..

Originally we had planned to put all of our kids in school for K-1st grade, I really wanted them to get the basics in before homeschooling, but due to where we live it just isn't a reasonable option...maybe when we move that may be an option but at that point I may not see the need to put them in school if I've already been doing it...

Olivia is starting Kindergarten(maybe I pronounce this wrong, but why does this have a T in it? It should be a D.) this fall. I'm already feeling overwhelmed and under prepared to take on the task. I don't understand how my days could get any busier, and I've never been a scholer(not that I can't learn) but I'm highly intimidated by this process. The whole reporting it to the school system and what not, been trying to look for a support group with some mama's who might take me under their wing and teach ME what to do. So far I haven't found anything promising. I have found the curriculum I want to use, but I'm unsure about the requirements that GA puts on what you HAVE to teach them and what's available for her age. So much I don't understand...

And like I said, I don't think public schools are the end of the world..but for us we've decided to go this route and though the task is daunting, I'm thankful to have her home longer. Though a break from 3 would kind of be nice for a time each day, I also can't imagine not having her here most of the day, and I know my time with my children is SO short...I want to protect her for as long as I can. I know finding a co-op would be nice for her so we could do field trips and socialize with other children her age(although still encouraging her that talking to adults is perfectly normal TOO). :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Bless you! I hope this is a great experience for you. I do not feel led to home school at this time. I've always felt if I had a child who really needed it or if we lived somewhere with bad school systems then I would for sure. I was home-schooled for middle school. My mom was serious about making me do a certain amount of work each day. My only suggestion is don't take it lightly I've seen homeschooling moms do that before and when their kids start public school, they are really behind. On the same side, some are really advanced! :)

Stephanie said...

I was JUST thinking about this this morning. We are leaning towards homeschooling as well, and it's very intimidating! I just don't know where to start! At least you have a curriculum picked out.

Mrs. Michelle Hancock was telling Josh that you can do the same curriculum the school's use, and they send you everything for free! I was thinking of starting with that just to learn the ropes. I don't know all the details about it though. But if you are interested you could talk to her, or I could ask her for you!

Praying you find some direction and a good group to get involved with!