Friday, September 24, 2010

Me? A Vegetarian?!

Ok..so I'm not an actual vegetarian. I really don't like pork(outside of the occasional bacon on special occasions, and I can take beef or leave it, but I honestly love Chicken and turkey..and have worked my way over into using mostly ground turkey instead of beef...though I know we still eat fairly unhealthy in terms of meals. So we as a family are embarking on a 21 day run as vegetarians(though I have a feeling meat will get thrown in there at some point for my littles and Luke who love meat). I don't plan on becoming a vegetarian but I would love to train my body to appreciate healthier foods and foods that I might not think to eat/enjoy. So today I am off to the Farmer's market where I will be buying like 99% of the menu...which is crazy to me since I'm used to buying way more processed foods then I care to admit. Starting on Monday-

On this menu this week:
Carrot and Red Pepper soup
Cous Cous(whole wheat) confetti salad
Hoppin John Salad
Veggie burgers
Southern Beans and Greens(Kale)
Hummus with pitas and veggies
Curried lentil soup.

(Some of these dishes get served with each other.)

I know this will be harder for me because honestly I'm kind of a lazy cook. I don't mind baking from scratch, but there is something about cooking from scratch I don't like. Takes too much forethought and energy. So this will be interesting to see how I do having to make EVERYTHING from scratch. I'll probably still buy my little ones some waffles and lunchables so I don't have to worry about their breakfasts and lunches, but I will be expecting them to eat the same dinner as us.

1 comments:

The Nealey's said...

Wow, not sure I could ever not eat meat. If we don't at least one kind of meat (chicken, beef, turkey, whatever) it's not considered a meal..haha! It is hard to cook "healthy" sometimes, isn't it, and expensive! I think cooking homemade meals is good and anytime we can replace something with lower cal or fat subst. we do! Plus we always have some sort of veggies or fruit with our meals. Our meat is always lean (Extra lean beef, or lean turkey, chicken). I think your menue looks good for the week!