Epic fail. I had another dentist appointment this morning..which went fine and managed to make it back in time for an online schoolwide orientation that was live...tried to sign on several times and it kept freezing up my computer due to how many people were trying to attend...so they ended up recording it and sending it out later, but since my Mom was in town we all decided to go swimming. While I'm still super happy and glad to have spent time with my sister and my Mom, it definitely through a wrench in schooling plans. Came back and thought it would go smoother since Noah and Kate were both sleeping...but at this point Olivia was tired and cranky and wasn't retaining anything I was teaching her....Some lessons have online assesments that they have to pass before being able to move on to the next lesson...she failed 2 today. It made me feel horrible..As if I didn't have enough insecurities about how to teach her as it was. I was reminded by my loving husband that it was her first "full" day of schooling and only the first week of school, so he reminded me to give both her and myself some slack..
I really need to try and figure out what to do with Kate(Noah will obey and sit and watch a movie in the morning but keeping Kate out of our schooling room is hard to do and quite the distraction to Olivia)...and also try and figure out what learning style Olivia is and try and meet her where she's at. This may take trial and error so I'm trying to be forgiving of myself..but its hard. I hate failing and part of me has felt like a failure a good bit of my life so it hurts when I can't immediately see this shiny perfect image of a homeschool mother.
So thankful my husband took over kid care when he came home and even went as far as to make dinner for us. Gah I love him..:)
Monday, August 16, 2010
Homeschooling day 1..
Posted by Fletchymama at 8:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Don't get discouraged so easily. Homeschooling takes a lot of work and each child is different. My mom had a much harder type with Jessica because of her attention span and learning type! You and Oliva are both brand new to this adventure and it will take some time. You can do it girl. Just remember that you said God told you to do this for her so he will give you the ability. Some tips : maybe have some activity books or crafts Noah could do during school time too and do work during Kate's nap or mabye put her in a sling while trying to teach a lesson. I know you aren't a morning person but my mom made us get up the same time as if we were going to school, get dressed, eat breakfast, and then start school. It helped our mindset and we were usually done by lunch! Hope it gets easier for you!
You can do it!!! Think of how all new and good things take time to get used to ... being married, having a baby, nursing, living in a new place ... and you have done all those things with incredible success. It's just as much as learning process for you as it is for Olivia so definitely cut yourself some slack because it was your first day ever. And also remember that she is learning every day in every activity she does, not just when you're "doing school". I love you and you are a great mom and I know you will get into a groove and find what works for y'all soon.
Post a Comment